“AN IDENTITY CRISIS!”
Sigmund Freud, world-renowned neurologist and founder of psychoanalysis, developed the Personality Theory in 1923. This groundbreaking psychoanalytical theory posited that the human psyche is comprised of three parts: The Id, Superego, and Ego. The Id controls our primitive instincts, sexual drive, and unconscious memories. The Superego operates as our moral conscience and compass. The Ego is the realistic portion of the mind that functions as the mediator between the Id and Superego. While distinct and developing at different stages of human development, all three work together to help explain the human mind.
Let’s be real! There are many Christians who exhibit these tripartite, Freudian representations of themselves. It’s been suggested that there are “at least” three versions of you: 1) “the you” that you project; 2) “the you” that others perceive; and 3) the “real you!” Christians have a strong proclivity to project their “Sunday’s Best,” but it is oftentimes far from reality! This is a direct and proximate cause of more than 400 years of slavery and what W.E.B. Du Bois called the “double consciousness” of African-Americans. Today’s sermon uncovers the interrelatedness between Paul’s prison predicament, Du Bois’s double-consciousness, and why you fit between the crosshairs of both! By the end of today’s message, you will have the opportunity to face and prayerfully begin addressing whether you have “An Identity Crisis!”
- Thomas isn’t the only one with a twin! John 20:24-25
- There are two nations within us all! Genesis 25:23
- Avoid being two-faced and double-tongued! John 10:25-26; 1 John 2:4
- Whatever eats the most grows the fastest! Ephesians 2:1-3; 1 Peter 2:1-3
- The flesh and spirit are constantly engaged in combat! Galatians 5:16-17
- Spirit-led living is a life spring! Psalm 143:10
- Carnal living is a death sentence! Romans 8:6-8
- Don’t be a “lip-service” saint! Isaiah 29:13
- Refuse to measure your worth by the “tape of [the] world!”
- The Holy Spirit is our “dogged strength” source!
- Merge yourself into our Maker’s and Master’s mirror!
- Our “Negro blood has a message for the world!” Genesis 4:10
- Thank God that the answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord! v25
- All you do is win! 2 Corinthians 2:14
- Have a spirit of thanksgiving! 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- God’s mercy covers our mess, mistakes, and missteps! Psalm 136:1
James 1:8 reminds us “a double-minded man [is] unstable in all his ways.” It is time for Christians to stop having split personalities. Our identity is not in what we have, who we know, who knows us, what we know, where we learned what we know, how we look, what we drive, or where we live. Don’t assist the enemy by disavowing your Kingdom identity! Our identity is in Jesus Christ, who calls us the righteousness of God! We are image bearers of God alone! We are a royal priesthood, peculiar people, and God’s workmanship and masterpieces! This is our identity! Stay connected with the Holy Spirit and trust God to meet you where you are!
Source: Du Bois, W. E. B. The Souls of Black Folk, New York, NY: Dover Publications, 1903.
If you would like the PDF Version of the sermon notes, click HERE.
If you would like the Word Version of the sermon notes, click HERE.
© 2019 Caldwell Ministries, Inc.
All rights reserved – No production of this material is permitted without expressed written permission of CMI.