The 2020 election season is arguably the most critical in modern times! People are flooding the polls in records numbers to have their voices heard! There’s a deep sense of responsibility and urgency at the local, state, and national levels. The proof is in the pudding! Several news outlets have reported that more than 15 million Americans have already taken advantage of early voting! I certainly hope you’re among them! We are less than 10 days away from a pivotal moment in this country’s history. It would be an understatement to say there’s a lot at stake. Put simply; we will either choose to settle for the status quo or “redeem the soul of America.”
We thank God for our ancestors, upon whose shoulders we stand today, for this opportunity and privilege. Even in their wildest dreams, they could still only imagine this moment. To whom much is given, much is required. All choices have consequences. We can’t afford to be ignorant, illiterate, or ill-informed! We also can’t be lulled into externality and superficiality. God warns us, “For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” Today’s sermon offers a Scriptural example concerning the selection of leaders! Yes, “The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord and like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.” But, we must still “Choose Wisely!”
II. SELECTION COMMITTEE v. 15
- Safety in the multitude of counselors! Proverbs 11:14
- Choose this day who you’ll serve! Joshua 24:15
- God chose us before the beginning of time! Ephesians 1:4-5
III. STANDARD CRITERIA vv. 21-22
- Matthias had been part of the ministry from its inception!
- Choose someone who’s after God’s own heart! Acts 13:22
- Ensure they rule with justice and righteousness! Psalm 45:6-7
IV. SPIRITUAL CONSULTATION v. 24
- Trust in the Lord! Proverbs 3:5-6
- Pray early and often! Philippians 4:6-7; 1 Thessalonians 5:17
- God answers when we call! Psalm 34:4
V. SILENT COMMITMENT vv. 21-22
- Beware of people who need to be out front! Luke 14:11
- Matthias is mentioned twice in the Bible! vv. 23, 26
- Matthias’s name means “gift of Yahweh!”
VI. SHOOT CRAPS v. 26
- This was a post-Ascension & pre-Pentecost moment!
- It was believed God was the decision-maker! Proverbs 16:33; Luke 1:8-9
- The Holy Spirit is our guide! John 16:13
We can choose our actions, but we cannot always choose or control the consequences. Pebbles, rocks, stones, and boulders still create ripple effects. The combinations are innumerable. Small decisions can have a huge impact just as big decisions can have a small impact. Likewise, big decisions can have a big impact just as small decisions can have a small impact. The scope and breadth of those ripple effects are beyond our control. Decision 2020 is upon us. We must choose wisely! Let’s seek and trust the Lord not only for the election but for every move you make in life!
© 2020 Caldwell Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved – No production of this material is permitted without expressed written permission of CMI
If you would like the PDF Version of the sermon notes, click HERE
If you would like the Word Version of the sermon notes, click HERE.